Wednesday, October 22, 2008

2008/09 Season At The "Cumberland Sports & Social Club"




Well, it’s been a great start to the 2008/9 season down at the “Cumberland Sports & Social club” here in Benidorm.
One of our members “Dozy” Dave from Pontefract has been in sparkling form this last couple of weeks with his dazzling array of impersonations of such greats as Pavarotti, Rod Stewart, Elvis, Willie Nelson. Don Estelle and Reg Crookshank (his next door neighbour).He gleefully informed us all that he had recently taken part in his very first pantomime recently, (Dave is 73), - it was in “Puss In Boots” in his home town of Pontefract. When I asked him what part he played he said – “The Pie Seller”, and somewhat annoyed at my mirth, countered, - “Well, it was a Yorkshire version! – they were “Pukka Pies”! – fair enough then. For full footage of his and club steward Nigel’s tribute to Don Estelle and Windsor Davies click on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yBdOpUyfk

The quiz of a Tuesday night is going a bomb, with not a spare seat to be had in or outside the club for the past month, and I can’t go without mentioning the effort here of Claire, one of our bar staff, who, on her night off was taking part. One of the questions was, “Who were the two stars of “Top Hat” (the correct answer being Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers), she put “Top Cat and Officer Dibble”, - she had misheard the question, and thought or quizmaster had said “Who were the two stars of “Top Cat”. Nice one Claire.

Other notables this week include Johnny Parkinson, - also from Pontefract (I must go there on my holidays sometime), gratefully accepting the Concert Chairman’s offer of the use of his spectacles whilst writing out his email address – even though they are just frames, with no lenses in them.
And top marks has to go to the large cockney bloke who turned up last Sunday and introduced himself, - whilst I was on my way to the toilet, - as “Gorgeous George, - world heavyweight champion”, which baffled the life out of me. When I mentioned this to bar owner Nigel, he rather excitedly said – “Yes! – that’s it, I remember him now, he was a wrestler round about the time of Mick McManus and all of that lot”. When next I looked up there was old “Georgeous” regaling Nigel of his various ring exploits and I have to say that by gaffer was looking suitably impressed at this point.
I was less sure, and as soon as I got home I turned on the computer and “Googled” him. Alas “Gorgeous George” was world heavyweight champion wrestler, but he was born in 1915, which would make him a rather sprightly 93 years of age, which is stretching it a bit, and I have to say that if it is him in our club, then he’s looking remarkably chipper, especially as he died in 1963!

No comments: