Friday, March 6, 2009

CREDIT CRUNCH EFFECTS ´THE OLDEST GAME IN THE WORLD`

Performed my first show at ´Chaplins` for 3 months last night – it´s been shut for – ah-em ,“refurbishment”. Not sure how many of the rather exuberant and youthful looking hen party in there were actually aware that I was doing a show, but anyway I came away unscathed. Had to smile the other night in ´Sinatras`. During the act, as I changed behind the screen, I announce “And now, ladies and gentlemen, - the queen of rock and roll” and before I had chance to finish, somebody shouts – “Chubby Checker!” – what!!?? (it´s Freddie Mercury by the way).
We´ve had some decidedly ropey weather over the last few days, that very English Bank Holiday type of light rain that Peter Kay says “soaks you through”, the stuff that goes on forever and this coupled with ferocious wind blew the clock off the wall on the landing and threw a few seats about in the stadium built just up the road for the Spain versus Serbia Davis Cup tennis match. Thankfully there was nobody sat in them at the time but the days play was postponed until the maintenance team can get it fixed. – Easter?
Was reduced to hysterics in the gym this morning when one of the regulars, Alan – an unassuming, slightly stooping diminutive chap in his 70´s told me what had happened to him the night before. In his own words – “Me and me mate were walking home when this swarthy looking woman stood in front of us, looked at us for a second and then said “Would you like to f*** my big black pussy?”
“I said, well thank you very much for asking but me and Don haven´t been too well lately”

No comments: